Monday, August 11, 2008

August 11, 2008

As a collective, we decided that we would start schooling in full on the 25th of August. Today we started the first of our review work to get us in gear. The boys awoke at 9:30 this morning and hopefully within the next week we will bump our wake up time to 9:00. Bedtime will move from 10pm to 9 pm.

Today K and J both worked on some Math Review. A reviewed his addition facts and some reading details online. I found a very fun and interesting educational site for them to play on. I figure some game play will help make the review work a little less boring.

I need some fun ideas to help J learn his multiplication facts. I also think we need to work on being nice to one another.. the summer has been a little slack with that for some reason.


SO what are my goals for the upcoming month?

*I'd like to bring together an astronomy unit. I've already asked a friend if we can use his telescope and expertise with this. Now I just need to get the paper stuff together.

*I'd like to have an actual schedule for our history book. I haven't decided how many chapters a month I'd like to read from Story of the World but I would definitely like to move a little faster than we did last year.

*I'd like to do a weekly written lesson plan, that way the boys and I both know what to expect from each other. :)

*Find something fun for learning multiplication facts for J.

*Discover a way to help my boys play nice all.the.time... yes, I know this one's a stretch. :P


I really want to make sure I accomplish the first three.. the other two are bonus goals.

edited to add...

*I'd like to post daily here. I think it's important for those close to me to see what exactly we are doing.

*I'd like K to write a list of his own goals for the month (year) and share them here.

I think that might be it.. but who knows my brain is always thinking.

3 comments:

*Jess* said...

Fun multiplication tables? Can I say that I was kinda geeky and thought it was fun just to memorize them? Okay, I know there must be a better way!

nic said...

LOL! Jess, after I got a bit older (think jr high school age) I thought they were fun to memorize as well. When I was J's age.. I despised all things numbers. They were the bane of my existence and I see J was gifted with my love of words and blunders with numbers.

lilizzyykittyymom said...

Wow you are way ahead of me, an official day to start homeschooling? I was thinking more along the lines of November 1st......2030? Haha, ok, really, sounds like a great plan so far Nic!! A weekly written plan sounds good, I think I need to implement that too, maybe to get some less resistance when it comes to learning.